Alexis Maas – Johnny Carson’s Wife and Widow

Alexis Maas is better known for being married to Johnny Carson from 1987 until his death in 2005 from emphysema in West Hollywood, California.

Johnny Carson’s wife Alexis Maas was born in 1952 and raised in the area of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. She used to work as a stock brokerage employee.

Alexis was 35 and Johnny was 61 when they married. Having dated for a couple of years, they got engaged and were married on June 20, 1987 in Malibu, California, USA by Superior Court Judge William P.

Alexis Maas was the fourth wife of Johnny Carson. She had the largest age difference with him. Before Alexis, Carson was first married to Joan – same age as him. Then to Joanne – 5 years younger than him. Then to Joanna – 15 years younger. Alexis “broke the spell” of his wives with similar names, and she was 26 years younger than her husband.

She was a tall and graceful blonde in her early thirties when she met her future husband. That day she was walking in a bikini by his house on the Malibu Beach with an empty glass of wine in her hand, when Johnny saw her through his window and offered to fill up her glass.

A book by Henry Bushkin, Carson’s long-time lawyer and friend tells about the experiences of Johnny Carson’s wife Alexis Maas during her marriage to the legendary talk show host. There were very few participants at Alexis Maas’s wedding – the bride and groom and just a few other people.

The book mentions a story when on the third week of the honeymoon, Bushkin and then-girlfriend met the honeymooning couple for a yacht trip in Italy. The new bride, Alexis Carson felt the wrath of her husband after she made some incidental remark and he ordered her not to make such remarks ever again if she wanted the marriage to last. The book also mentions that Alexis Maas developed a dislike for Bushkin and undermined him with his client.

The couple spent their honeymoon on the Mediterranean, on the beautiful Parts V yacht estimated at $6.5 million.

Alexis Mass had the longest lasting marriage with Johnny out of his four wives – nearly 18 years. She traveled a great deal together with her husband. They lived in Malibu, California. The two were photographed at many different places together: attending the opening of the ‘Les Miserables’ musical, attending American Cinemateque Awards, cruising on their yacht – the Serengeti, dining at Spago in West Hollywood, attending a taping of the Television Academy Hall of Fame special, watching US Open Tennis in Flushing Meadows… But the two never had any children together. It is hard to tell whether Johnny Carson’s wife Alexis Maas was happily married or not.

Following Johnny Carson funeral, the widow was given her husband’s ashes after his body was cremated.

What is Alexis Maas’s net worth? Considering that Johnny Carson’s net worth was about $300 million, Alexis probably received a large portion of this after his death.

What happened to Alexis Maas Carson later on? What is she doing now? Did Alexis ever remarry? There are not too many pictures of her on the Internet now. She seems to have disappeared from the public eye ever since the early 2000’s…

Comments

• Michael Ziacik on

As a fellow former Pennsylvanian and living close to Pittsburgh,I just was wondering what happened to her.Hope she is enjoying life.
    I am since moving to Florida last fall.
    I watch Johnny Carson reruns once in awhile.Didn’t see him much growing up as I had to be in bed because of school.He sure is missed.
    Have a nice day.
    Mike

• Kate on

I was told that Alex and Johnny had already separated before his death and that he died alone, save for hospital personnel.

• NewSwirl on

Kate, thank you for your contribution to this article.

• Judy on

She was living with him to the end. She called the ambulance the last time he went to the hospital. She was asked about the patient and said he was getting ready to go. He died in the hospital. When you have a chronically sick family member, there are a lot of emergencies and hospitalizations. When one time they don’t come back home, you are shocked.

• Steve on

Even after all these years there is shock! Never really ready,but approaching. Having gone through those dreaded hospital events, I can empathize with it all. “Too soon old,too late smart” Public figures like Johnny deserve privacy but so many are curious about him and his doings. I am again on that quest. Hope he’s ok with that

• Tom Alexander on

Always wanted to work for and meet Mr Carson. Would love to meet Mrs Alexis Carson just to walk and talk about Mr Carson. I had so much respect for him. I didn’t just watch his shows, I studied them. I still watch the show and dvr it as well as throw in a cd of the Tonight Show every once in awhile.

To Mrs Alexis Maas Carson and Johnny’s kids, I will always remember your husband & your Dad. I’m only sorry I never got to meet him. Hope if we ever do meet someday, we could talk about him.

Sincerely,
    Tom

• Josie on

Worked for her in domestic position. She is a whack job with a lot of cash. Is not kind to her help as her husband was.

• Steve on

I’ve been curious ! Looking for the ” real” Johnny and Alixis. Kind of sorry to hear she’s a whack job, but not surprised. Growing up a too pretty working girl I was glad she and him got together. Hoped she carried on with Johnnys traits that may have rubbed off. Just like our children though,with the antics they have, many times we dont want to know after we find out what they did………
      Johnny had many similar life events with me. Piques my curiosity.Shy,thin, Iowa,Los Angeles area,boats travelsand pretty mates. Glad i didnt have all he had but a taste. I’ve made 21 years with my last beautiful blond wife
      Just love to hear more about them both.Although like i said maybe the “imagined Johnny and Alexis are the best….

• Chas on

Hey gang,
    He was simply a conservative individual, just a confused and sensitive as the rest of us; however, no more or no less complex.
    Another example of how life is very challenging for all of us.
    It matters not if you live beech front, or in a mansion, depression, anxiety, addictions, are difficult to fend off.
    Be kind to your children and raise them with love. Spend time with them and involve yourself into their lives.

• Dj on

In the 1980s I worked with Alexis at Columbia savings she was very beautiful than I think she was in her early 30s and she was always flying on the private planes with the owners and the top executives are used to see her every day beautiful beautiful woman but she knew her value she was here looking for what she found